Sunday, October 21, 2012

Stop the Bloody Snot Rockets!


The one thing that we wanted more than anything was to give our poor pup some relief from the discharge!

There are many causes of nasal discharge in dogs, but discharge with blood is usually call for alarm.  In Lexy's case the cause is a tumor growth in her nasal passage.  From what I've read surgery to remove the mass causes more harm than good.  Radiation can be a way to shrink the tumor, but it's expensive and has it's side effects.  (Not that we are ruling that out, we just haven't seen the oncologist yet)

What the vet at Northstar was able to do immediately was try to remove as much as she safely could while performing her last biopsy.  This reduced the size of the tumor and in turn reduced the amount of pressure and bleeding.

As soon as I found out Lexy's diagnosis I started researching the best practices for dogs with nasal cancer. Throughout my research I found a Chinese herb that if taken orally can act as a coagulant and help with the bleeding.  I found it on amazon for very cheap!  The herb is called Yunnan Baiyao.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yunnan_Baiyao

http://www.modernherbshop.com/Yunnan_Baiyao_Yunnan_Paiyao_s/147.htm

http://dogcanceradvice.com/839/yunnan-baiyao-for-bleeding-in-dogs-with-cancer/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VSUBUI/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

Now... I am not a Veterinarian, and I am not telling you to give your dog Chinese herbs... I'm simply just conveying what I did for Lexy and regurgitating the results.  Please keep in mind that combining this coagulant with anti-coagulants would be counter productive, duh! 

As of yesterday the bleeding has stopped after 4 days of the herb.  Could the bleeding have stopped because of what the vet did for her?  Sure it could have.  All I can say is after her first biopsy the bleeding continued, and this is the first time in 7 months that the sneezing and snot rockets have ceased to exist.  She stopped snoring at night and is finally getting a good nights rest.


Thank you for supporting Lexy! She sends big fat licks!


No comments:

Post a Comment